Sunday, October 31, 2010

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

We had a great time Saturday night. All kinds of friends got dressed up to surprise one another at Princess Kathy and Captain Steve's Halloween Party. I forgot my camera so I only have some before and after pictures. I got to help dress Mary up as Roxie from Chicago. She already had the leather and lace theme going and I just added on with accessories. Peggy was rockin' the Geisha Girl look (at left). I struggled with her make-up, but it wasn't a bad impression. We need to get authentic face paint next time.

As Peggy and I were still in make-up mode when Arthur and his friends hit the shop in search of large animal costumes. He, Kevin and Shane left the shop as a Tiger, Parrot, and Fox with Marisol the Veterinarian. It did my heart good to see them negotiating their costumes.

Dale was my hero tonight. (He's also my husband.) He will dress up in pretty much anything I ask him to. He shaved his full beard and mustache this afternoon so I had a fresh face for a Raggedy Andy palette. He held our ancient but authentic Raggedy Ann doll on his lap for me while I did his make-up. Too cute.

I wasn't sure how to do the rag doll bodies so that we could show off our authentic "I Love You" hearts. I managed to find two red union suits that fit us and made hearts to match.

For those who may be interested in creating their own version of the costumes I used Simplicity Pattern #2514, Classic Raggedy Ann & Andy. It was not an easy pattern and it was missing a piece (ties for Ann's pinafore and Andy's neck bow). Norma helped with cutting pattern pieces and puzzling out the missing parts. She created Andy's tie from scratch. Finding socks in red and white stripes proved difficult, too. So we settled for red and black and they looked truly excellent.

I did cough up the cash for the best yarn I could buy (thanks to Danika and her grandmother for that assist and consultation!) to create the wigs. Peggy and Barb get major kudos for attaching yarn to a wig base and barbering red dreds!

Dale and I had a great time tonight playing rag doll best friends. When we visited a few bars on our way home, just to see what kind of amazing costumes were out there, we were disappointed. At two bars we were told by many that we would have won had we been in time for the contest. But I have come to the unhappy conclusion that you have to dress and act like a slut to win a contest at a bar if you are a girl. That's why I was so thankful to Princess Kathy and Capt. Steve for having a party. We got to watch transformations and amazing performances. I will announce winners once the photos are in.

I hope you have/had a fantastic Halloween!

No comments: