Thursday, October 28, 2010

CATASTROPHE! CALAMITY! CATACLYSM!

A CONSIDERABLE SETBACK!

Last night I proved, again, that old buildings and with old wiring systems can't handle electrical overloads with very much grace. I guess having all the Halloween lights on the outdoor decorations plugged into the same circuit that was running a space heater and the computer just couldn't handle the load when I started the vacuum cleaner on another, what I thought was unrelated, outlet.

DARK . . . . . . and quiet. . . . . .

Crap!

We tripped a switch. I moved costumes to get to the breaker box and attempted several times to reset the failing switch. No go. Dammit!

I called my life-long electrician and consultant in Illinois, he did instruct me through an electrical repair from afar once before. He agreed that since the load didn't seem to snap the circuit, but gradually slowed it down, that it might be over-heated and could be reset once everything was cooled down. If that didn't work, he told me to call my local guy back to replace the breaker.

So let me be clear; on Tuesday the wind storm blew a dead tree down on the shop.
No damage. But is scared the s**t out of me, shook the whole shop.

Wednesday the electricity to the dressing rooms and front of the shop went out.

This morning when I walked out of the house there was an impressively noisy blackbird convention going on in the trees above the shop. The cacophony was damn near deafening as I drew closer to the decrepit building. I began to wonder, am I secretly on camera for some Hitchcock Reality TV joke? Am I being haunted by a snickering and secretive producer? I was picturing potential titles; "Death at Dress Me Up, " or "Costume Capers," or "R.I.P. at D.M.U."

Well, Princess Kathy's talented husband, Capt. Steve the Lumber-Jack-Electrician-Fireplace-Salesman-Wood-Stove-Technician, made a heroic visit to my little Halloween Habit during his lunch. I had flashlights and screwdrivers all ready. It took him all of 7.5 minutes to move the wiring from the bad breaker to an empty but functional breaker. YAY, CAPTAIN STEVE! THANK YOU!!!!!

The wind has also died down and the blackbirds have taken wing for another roost.

I guess I better quit my whining and get back to the Raggedy Ann and Andy costumes so they'll be ready for the Hastings Community Halloween Party tomorrow.

I look forward to seeing you at the shop for a round of Dress Up!

No comments: