Thursday, October 30, 2008

Community Halloween Party

Tonight was the annual Youth First/YMCA Community Halloween party. I know this particular gathering for costumed kids in Hastings has been going on for at least 14 years because this is my 13th season in the costume business and I know my predecessor, Judy, helped with costumes for at least a year before I purchased Dress Me Up from her.

Youth First is a wonderful organization that works toward building assets with young people in the Hastings area. The YMCA is a far more recent organization that Youth First has collaborated with on efforts like this particular party and others.

Because my costume business is so seasonal, and really more of a hobby than a business, rather than writing a check to support the party, I offer free costumes to the volunteers who help put on the party. In 13 years I have only visited the Community Halloween Party once with my own children. I recall it being a very crowded and over-whelming affair for my elementary aged country boys.

Tonight Mary and I dressed as pirates with "left-overs" from the shop and went to town with laundry baskets to collect the donated costumes so we could clean them and prep them for rental on Halloween. The party was held at the Senior high School Commons. What a great venue. There was plenty of room for a large crowd. All the kids and many of their parents looked fantastic. I love a good Halloween party.

THANK YOU to all the volunteers for taking the time to offer this event to the children in the Hastings area. And THANK YOU Ann of Youth First and Mike of the YMCA for continuing and improving upon this community tradition.

I'll try and post pictures as soon as I can. Have a Happy Halloween!

No comments: