Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Capt. Jack


This couple came into the shop a couple weeks ago looking for a pirate costume. One of our staff came downstairs and said, "This guy upstairs is looking for a pirate or something. Do any of you know what some movie pirate looks like? Captain Somebody?"

"Captain Jack Sparrow?" I asked.

"Yeah, that's it," she said.

"I'M TOTALLY ON IT!" I yelled, running upstairs to help this creative customer.

So that's how I met Nick and Andrea. We started digging in tubs of scarves, boxes of pants, and racks of miscellaneous shirts. We came up with a pretty good costume. Nick was quietly willing to let the women work on the costume, with him weighing in here and there, grinning when we got it right, nodding encouragement when we were getting close.

When all was said and done he looked good, but not good enough, in my opinion.

"Would you let me make a pirate jacket for you?" I tested.

We had Pirates of the Caribbean, one of my favorite movies, playing on the costume shop TV by then so we could check out the details of Johnny Depp's Capt. Jack costume. Andrea assured me that she was working on the dreds, the beads, and the beard braids.

"Yeah, that would be cool," responded a grinning Nick.

"I love that movie, I love that costume, I love Johnny Depp, and I would love to make a pirate coat for the shop. I don't have a sewing project for this season yet - I think you're it. What do you think?" I invited.

"Let's do it," he replied.

So I whipped out my handy dandy measuring tape and took his measurements, wrote it down on his rental form, took his money, and asked him to call me on Tuesday the 24th in case I needed him for a fitting.

The women at JoAnn Fabrics in Woodbury were astonished that I would fork out premium dollars for 100% polyester fake leather from the upholstery section for a Halloween costume. They obviously don't appreciate the need for this coat to look and drape properly - the fabric was perfect.

As I've been working on the costume over the past week customers have been marveling at it. I began with a beautiful dark, plush corduroy to create a vest adorned with mix and match buttons. Then I began work assembling the coat. The pattern wasn't too difficult, but the fabric was expensive, so I couldn't afford to make mistakes. I took it more slowly and carefully than my characteristic short-cut style of speed-sewing. When Andrea called on Tuesday I had to confess that I needed one more day.

Wednesday she called and we told them I would be finished sewing buttons on by 7 p.m. and would be ready to hand it over. They walked in at 7:02 p.m. as I was preparing to sew on the last button.

"Hi guys!. One more button and I'm finished. Here's the vest. I can't remember if I told you I would make a vest or not, but I would love for you to at least try it. And look at the red head scarf we found - isn't it perfect?" I babbled at them.

They headed off to the dressing room to start to assemble his costume as I worked on button number ten. Andrea made perfect bead strands to anchor in the dredlock wig. I grabbed some sashes for his waist. Nick liked the vest and showed off the boot covers and pirate sword he found. Andrea used some of our bobby pins to attach the beard braids and WOW!! Nick looked so good. The coat was PERFECT. I was SOOOOO EXCITED! I just love it when a costume comes together like that.

We've had others come together this season, too. I have the shop for moments like these. It is a privilege and a blessing to help people be creative, imaginative, and playful. I love having customers like Nick and Andrea. THANK YOU GUYS!!! The picture we posted is from the first fitting. I hope they'll share one from the night they go out once he has on his make-up and jewelry. We'll be sure to post it at the website.

By the way, Phyllis found a great dress combo for her Cleaning Fairy tonight, and we altered Beth's Poker Fairy dress, too. We'll get pictures up of the finished fairies some time next week. We have tons of stuff left for you. Stop out this week and play Dress Up!

No comments: